The doctor's appointment itself went very well. I was pleasantly surprised to actually be able to sit down with the doctor (and not a nurse practitioner) to discuss any questions or concerns I have about the do's & don'ts of pregnancy. Next week I will have to stop in and do the pregnancy blood work since I wasn't made aware of the 10-12 hour fasting request beforehand. No biggie. I did still need blood work down for my endocrinologist to check my thyroid levels and make sure my medication is in the right range.
Well, that was a biggie. A unnecessary biggie.
Conveniently, my doctor's office also has a lab so I thought it would make most sense to have my monthly blood draw for my thyroid levels there since I will be there every month anyway for my prenatal appointments. Unfortunately, the woman that does the lab work there apparently doesn't like to do her actual job and in the past, I usually have to do some kind of minor coaxing to remind her that I've been here before; I'm a patient; and most of all, this is a blood work order within our hospital network and she is a lab for that network so...she has to do it.
So this time was unlike any other except...I'm pregnant, hormonal (and I can get emotional if I have a bambino in the belly or not) and this particular blood work order I have been concerned about since it concerns the baby & the risk of miscarriage. Obviously, you will understand why I wasn't "up" for dealing with this woman's ... attitude, to put it nicely.
I do the appropriate things. I sign in on the sheet, ring the bell, and wait in the lobby. The woman arrives, scratches my name off, and I hand her the paperwork. I explain that I haven't fasted for the other parts of the lab work order but I do have this separate standing lab work order from my specialist that I do need to get done today. She immediately starts arguing with me and tells me to come back another day because the thyroid draw is already on the pregnancy lab work order from my doctor. Yes, I know this, but my specialist needs these results sooner, I'm going on vacation, blah blah blah - tears begin to form in my eyes & I just lose it. Thankfully, my mom was with me & tried to explain more thoroughly why there is an urgency in the blood work order from my specialist. She's still not getting it - she goes on and on about double billing & how it would be difficult to cancel the other thyroid blood work order, blah blah blah. Well, little does she know that my mom is a nurse as well & familiar with how this process all works. There is a way - it may be a little bit of a pain, but not impossible...and even if it was - it was NO reason to upset a patient like this.
She finally waived the white flag & took me back to the lab (room) and did the blood draw. My mom was afraid she may "hurt" me, but I know she's a good stick. She never really apologized though. Just one of those people that have their own agenda, I guess. I will never quite understand that. My mom said that the front office staff apologized to her about how unprofessional this woman was to me. That was nice & it was quite embarrassing since this all happened in the front lobby (thankfully only one person was there leaving from their appointment).
And yes, now I have to go to her monthly...but again - it's convenient and I would rather save my sick time to be with the future Bambino. I'm sure I'll have to deal with some attitude or defensiveness every month, but that's ok. I know why I need the blood work done. I know my body & this is important to me & the little one.

I used to work in a lab...what that lady did was uncalled for!! I want to go stab her in the neck.
ReplyDelete(((HUGS)))